Bro honestly this Pixel battery thing is still pissing me off even in October 2026.
Ever since that March update, so many people (me included) have been screaming on the Google Issue Tracker. Phone just sits there doing nothing all night and still loses a ton of battery. I got tired of reading everyone else’s complaints so last week I decided to actually track my own phone properly. Checked the battery stats every morning, noted the overnight drop, tried different settings… the whole thing. Here’s what I found.
The real problem started after the March 2026 Pixel Drop. The phone wasn’t going into proper Deep Doze. From what people dug up (and Google later confirmed), it was the GNSS stuff — kepler_spi_irq_handler and gnss_ipc processes kept firing interrupts nonstop. So the Tensor chip never really slept. Overnight drain of 8-12% was common, some people said their battery life basically got cut in half.
Google marked it “Fixed” in the July update (build CP2A.260705.006). They gave the fix to Pixel 9 series, all the Pixel 10 phones and the 10a. Pixel 8a and 9a got it later in the September QPR. Everyone else (Pixel 6, 7, 8 series) got left hanging. And even after the July update a lot of people are still complaining. I’m still seeing reports of 5-7% overnight drain.
Then the September Android 17 QPR1 update came and some people started getting lag and stuttering on top of everything. Google also added that new AI battery summary thing that tries to explain in plain English which apps are eating power… it’s okay I guess but still pretty basic.
Anyway, my own numbers from last week:
Overnight (about 8 hours) I was losing around 4-6%. Used to be over 10% before.
Normal day with social media, messaging, a bit of maps etc. I was getting 5-6 hours screen-on.
Whenever the phone got warm the drain got noticeably worse.
And yeah, Google Play Services or system processes still showing up near the top sometimes.
Doesn’t feel 100% fixed yet.
Stuff that actually helped me (and seems to work with these lithium batteries):
I try to keep charging between 20 and 80%. Adaptive Charging or the 80% limit is useful for overnight.
Case comes off while charging. Thick cases trap heat like crazy. Phone on a table, never under a pillow.
Wireless charging only when the phone is cool. If it’s already warm I just use the cable.
Storage under 90%. Once it gets too full the phone works harder and heats up more.
Background apps restricted. Always On Display off, Smooth Display off when I don’t need it, location only when necessary.
And just keep the damn thing cool. No direct sun, no hot car. If it gets hot I unplug it and let it cool down. Never put it in the fridge though, condensation is real.
I also restart every couple of days and keep everything updated. Boring but it helps.
These things don’t magically fix the software issue but they make a clear difference. If your overnight drain is still bad, go to Settings > Battery > Battery diagnostics and report it on the Issue Tracker. Google still hasn’t completely killed this thing.

No comments:
Post a Comment